Data Sharing – Make Your Choice
Make your choice: Choose if data from your health records is shared Type 1 and Type 2 Opt Outs
You can choose whether your confidential patient information is used for research and planning. To find out more visit nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters.
You do not need to do anything if you are happy about how your confidential patient information is used. You can change your choice at any time.
TYPE 1 Opt-Out: You can tell us if you do not want your confidential patient information held in your GP medical record to be used for purposes other than your individual care. This is commonly called a type 1 opt-out. We will code this on to your GP record.
TYPE 2 Opt-Out: To choose if data from your health records is shared by NHS Digital, you must visit: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/ and follow the instructions. IMPORTANT: You must make your choice via this website for your TYPE 2 Opt-Out to be correctly recorded.
There have been posts on social media with false information about opting out of sharing your data with the NHS.
Here’s what you need to know:
- There is no 30th September deadline for opting out of sharing your data. You can opt out at any time.
- NHS Digital will never sell your data.
- There are strict rules about how NHS can use your data. It’s only shared securely and safely.
- Shared data helps the NHS. It has been used to find the first treatment for coronavirus and for vaccine research.
- Use this service to:
- Choose if your confidential patient information is used for research and planning
- Change or check your current choicehttps://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/our-work/keeping-patient-data-safe/how-we-look-after-your-health-and-care-information/your-information-choices/opting-out-of-sharing-your-confidential-patient-information